House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has produced an 8000-word report assailing President Barack Obama for instituting an Imperial presidency. If it wasn't bad enough that that Obama has broken all records in creating over 900 Executive Orders (EOs) in his first term, this bypassing of Congressional approval, has allowed him to make laws on every imaginable subject. This is something I brought up in previous postings and declared that some actually seemed devious in their intent. More about that in a future posting.
Even The New York Times noted recently on its front page ''an increasingly deliberate pattern by the administration to circumvent lawmakers.'' It seems they have suspicions that their ''Golden Boy" could be up to something. Pieces appearing over the course of the past several months in the main Obama ass-kissing media like the Washington Post, National Review and the Wall Street Journal have talked about his ''imperial presidency.''
The Obama administration's lack of respect for the law is hampering economic growth and individual prosperity, particularly the jobs market. ''Property rights and rule of law are essential for the proper and efficient functioning of society and the economy,'' Cantor states, ''You have to follow the law if you want your citizens to respect the law as well.'' He went on to explain, "When laws are created without going through Congress; when laws are selectively executed; when an administration intervenes into the normal judicial process and diminishes an individual's property rights rights; and when normal regulatory process is circumvented, the rule of law is eroded."
That's exactly what happened under Obama. Cantor continues, ''While administrations of both parties have been known to test the bounds of the limits of their power, the breadth of the breakdown in the rule of law in recent years has reached new levels.'' Cantor's report cites more than 40 examples of the White House's lack of respect for the law. This includes:
- Ignoring Advise and Consent, such as through the recess appointments he made.
- Creating laws such as changing the unionization process, telling businesses where they are allowed to locate, telling federal contractors who they have to hire.
- Regulation of hydraulic fracturing, establishing a national ocean regulatory policy, creating a new land regulation program, global warming regulations, auto efficiency mandate, the draconian regulation of coal.
- Waiving Bill Clinton's inspired work requirements under welfare, claiming the power to define what constitutes religious employment; lobbying for abortion overseas and the contraception mandate. Also cynically failing to defend Clinton's Defense of Marriage Act.
- Administrative amnesty for illegal immigrants, Gulf drilling moratorium; banning uranium mining in Arizona; termination of Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository.
- Government By Waiver, such as education policy by waiver and health care laws waivers; and creating new programs Not Authorized by Congress, such as the National Network for Manufacturing Innovation, new ''super'' agencies, the Healthcare Independent Payment Advisory Board and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. And many more that disregard the legislative authority and the Constitutionally-required separation of powers.
That being said, if one reviews Marx's 10-point platform for how to socialize a country's economy in stages (The Communist Manifesto, Chapter 2), one finds that Team Obama and their progressive allies have taken actions to further the goals laid out in all 10 planks in Marx's platform. Check on it with Google or Bing. Obama still seems to believe that it is how hard one works or how smart one is that should determine income.
The economic truth that eludes him is that in a market economy, honest participants prosper to the extent that they deliver value to others. The reality is that value is not the same as effort or potential. It seems that only a minority of people have the talent of successfully and economically providing value for others. Those entrepreneurs are society's economic benefactors, creating wealth and jobs for their fellow citizens. Contrary to Obama's views, society's wealth generators merit respect, not scorn; praise, not derision; gratitude, not envy.